Saturday 10 November 2012

Procrastination helps you get things done!



Procrastination helps you get things done!  "What?" I hear you say. "Isn't procrastination when you keep putting off what you need to do?!"

Well, today I procrastinated and got loads done as I was putting off what I should have been doing!  Nick had taken the boys to football and I had to go around and put my flyers on noticeboards, and in shops, and speak to people to see if they minded having some leaflets.

So instead of doing that, I thought I'd better just tidy up the kitchen first. And then, sort some washing out. And whilst sorting out some washing, there were old clothes hanging up in the wardrobe which the children had grown out of. And of course they needed bagging up for 'Bag 2 school'. And then, I thought I'd just quickly sort out some paperwork. Oh and of course, there's Operation Christmas Child which I'd been meaning to sort out too.  So you see, by procrastinating I really did get a lot done!

So then I had a good internal chat with myself.  "So what is it that's putting you off from distributing flyers?!" And I realised that I didn't want to put upon people who didn't want them (which of course, I wouldn't be doing!). And being a recently qualified Life Coach is becoming a bit real now as I need to get out there and advertise - this is all a bit scary. So I gave myself a good talking to! "You are qualified now.  You wouldn't be qualified if you weren't capable. You are good enough to do this. There are people out there who need you, so get out there and distribute those flyers!"

And, you'll be pleased to know, I did go out and distribute some flyers too.  Not as much as I'd originally planned to do but I made a good start! And I now realise, it's not that bad at all.  So I'm now feeling more confident to carry on and distribute some more next week.

So next time you're procrastinating, have a good chat with yourself to find out what's stopping you and when you realise it's not that bad, you can make a little start to give you confidence to do some more.

Hope this article has inspired you to see the positive side of procrastination and to motivate you to just start off by doing a little bit.  Small steps can produce big results.

For more information on Life Coaching, please visit www.icanlifecoaching.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment